Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ciphers in Movies

One movie that utilizes the confusion and pressure of ciphers are the Saw movies. In these movies, the antagonist, Jigsaw, uses codes and ciphers to force some of his prisoners to escape their torture chambers. Another movie that uses stenography and ciphers is National Treasure. In this movie, Nicholas Cage chases after a lost treasure through historical knowledge and his ability to decode hidden messages and clues all over the United States. These are only two examples of the movie industry utilizing the suspense and adventure surrounding ciphers and codes.

3 comments:

  1. I never really thought of the Saw movies containing cryptology but I totally agree with you. There are always puzzles and codes that the characters must solve. National Treasure is also a great example. The whole movie is basically a big cryptology puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Saw movie series! When I first read your post, I was very confused and could not think of one example of cryptology in the series. Then I remembered the X marks the spot in first movie that could only be seen when the lights were turned off. Ok... there is steganography. Then I thought about the numbers in the back of everyone’s neck being the key to the safe in the second movie. I had a really hard time coming up with these, and as I said, I love the saw movies. While much of the Saw movies are puzzles, it is hard to categorize it as cryptography. Were there specific parts of the movies you had in mind??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never actually seen any of the saw movies because they scare me too much but thats interesting that something with such a complex plot line could incorporate cryptology. The National Treasure movie has always interested me but I honestly just liked the movie and ignored the aspect of cryptology. Another aspect of cryptology in movies is the DVD's themselves. They are encrypted so they often can not be copied and sold illegally. Who would have thought movies would be so intertwined with cryptology.

    ReplyDelete